Ingredients (4 appetizers or 2 main course portions) :
Pickled Ginger Mayo
Lime, Jalapeno and Basil Simple Syrup
Step 1: Slaw
1. In a bowl combine all the prepared ingredients toss to combine and let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
Step 2: Avocado Crema
2. In a blender combine all the ingredients, blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning as desired, reserve.
3. If making in advance wrap well with plastic contacting the surface.
Step 3: Pickled Ginger Mayo
4. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, minced pickled ginger and juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Step 4: Jalapeno-Lime and Basil Simple Syrup
5. In a small pot combine water and sugar bring to a boil, remove from heat and add lime segments, thinly sliced jalapeno rounds and torn basil leaves.
6. Let cool. This can be used as garnish for the crab cakes or for cocktails.
Step 5: Crab Cake
7. In a bowl, mix all ingredients except for 1 egg, 25g flour and 50g panko for the breading station.
8. Shape crab mix into 4-85g cakes.
9. Dust crab cakes in flour, dip in egg wash and crust with panko, reserve.
10. Heat canola oil and butter in skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes in pan and cook until browned. Flip crab cakes and cook until completely browned.
Bonus Step: Isolation Margarita
11. In a shaker combine Tequila, jalapeno-lime and basil simple syrup, fresh lime juice and ice.
12. Shake well, pour into a glass and top with club soda.
Jennifer Sands, Executive Sous Chef