For the meringue:
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C / 392°F (regular bake, not convention bake). Grease 8″ x 3″ cake pan with butter, line bottom with baking or parchment paper.
2. Whisk cream cheese till smooth over a warm water bath. Add yolks and whisk. Add sugar (70 gram) and whisk.
3. Warm milk and butter in microwave (high, 1 min) or stove, whisk into batter. Add salt and whisk, remove from the water bath.
4. Sift cake flour, matcha powder, and corn starch and fold into mixture
5. For the meringue, whisk egg whites at low speed till foamy.
6. Add cream of tartar or lemon juice and beat at high speed till bubbles become very small but still visible.
7.Gradually add the 70 gram of sugar and beat till soft peaks.
8. Fold (mix gently with a spatula imitating a folding movement) whites into batter 1/3 at a time.
9. Pour into the cake pan and tap the pan on the counter to release air bubbles.
10. Bake with water bath on the bottom most rack in a preheated 200°C / 392°F for 18 mins.
11. Then lower to 140°C / 284°F for another 30 mins (let the heat in the oven drop gradually with door closed) and turn off the oven and leave cake in the closed oven for another 30 mins.
12. Remove water bath and open the door of the oven slightly at the end of the baking for another 30 mins for the cake to cool.
Inspiration of : https://www.craftpassion.com/matcha-japanese-cheesecake/
Patrick Turcot, Executive Chef