Ingredients (4 portions):
1. Slowly cook the bacon over low heat in a large pot until it gets crispy and the fat has rendered out, then remove the bacon from the pot, leaving the fat.
2. Cut beef into large cubes, season well with salt and pepper.
3. Increase the heat to high and add the cubed beef, searing until golden brown. The bottom of the pot should be a dark brown from the bacon and beef residue.
4. Lower the heat to low again and remove the beef from the pot (you can put it in the same vessel you are reserving your cooked bacon).
5. Add the white onion and garlic to the pot and stir slowly until translucent. Bits of the beef/bacon residue should come off the bottom and stick to the onion.
6. Add the red wine to the pot and stir with a wooden spoon. This should deglaze the bottom of the pot and incorporate all the caramelized bacon and beefy goodness.
7. Add the blended tomato, diced potatoes, seared beef and cooked bacon into the pot and simmer for approximately 45-60 mins. The cooking time will be determined by what kind of potato you used: starchy potatoes will give your broth a thicken, more toothsome texture, while waxy potatoes will be more sturdy and take more time to cook.
8. Once the potatoes are fully cooked, add in your frozen vegetables and stir well. Once they are heated up and cooked fully, your stew is complete.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Jody Ward, Sous Chef