Cream Cheese Icing
Candied Carrot Ribbons
Step 1: Carrot Cake
1. In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
2. In the bowl of the mixer, beat together eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil and vanilla until smooth.
3. Mix in flour mixture until moistened.
4. Stir in carrots, pineapple and raisins.
5. Split batter between 2 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
6. Bake at 350°F for 35-38 minutes or until done. Let cool in pans on rack.
Step 2: Cream Cheese Icing
7. In bowl of mixer, beat softened cream cheese and butter until smooth.
8. Add vanilla and icing sugar, 2 cups at a time, mix on medium high speed until icing is smooth.
Step 3 : Assembling the Cakes
9. Once the cakes are cooled, cut each cake in half to make 4 layers.
10. Assemble cake alternating layers with cream cheese icing.
11. For the sides and top spread with a thin layer of icing to crumb coat and put in refrigerator for 30 minutes to set. Once chilled cover the cake with the remaining icing and refrigerate until ready to serve.
12. Remove from refrigerator and garnish with candied carrot ribbons.
Step 4: Candied Carrot Ribbons
13. Preheat oven to 200°F
14. Trim and remove peel from carrot.
15. Peel 15-20 lengthwise carrot strips or ribbons.
16. Bring water and sugar to a boil in a small pan. Add carrots and lower the heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes.
17. Remove carrot from simple syrup and lay flat on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until they look translucent and firm enough to hold their shape.
18. While still warm shape carrots ribbons and sprinkle with sugar. Let cool until dried. Garnish top of cake.
Jennifer Sands, Executive Sous Chef